Devorah Margolin is a Senior Research Fellow at the Program on Extremism at The George Washington University. Her research primarily focuses on violent Islamist groups in the Levant, terrorism governance, terrorism financing, the role of propaganda, countering violent extremism, and the role of women in violent Islamist groups. Devorah is the Project Manager for The ISIS Files Project, the co-PI on PoE's core partnership with the Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET), and a Senior Investigator with the National Counterterrorism Innovation, Technology, and Education Center (NCITE).
Devorah has presented her research to academics, practitioners, and government officials around the world, and has published her work in peer review journals and newspapers, including Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, Terrorism and Political Violence, The CTC Sentinel, Newsweek, and Foreign Policy. She is a contributor to the BBC, and she provides commentary to outlets including The Los Angeles Times, USA Today, The Telegraph, and The New York Times. Her co-edited volume Jihadist Terror: New Threats, New Responses, was published with I.B. Tauris in Spring 2019.
Prior to joining PoE, Devorah was a Senior Research Analyst at Combating Jihadist Terrorism and Extremism in the UK (CoJiT-UK), and a Researcher and Internship Coordinator at the International Institute for Counter-Terrorism (ICT). She is also currently a PhD Candidate in the Department of War Studies, King’s College London.
- "Inside the Islamic State in Mosul: A Snapshot of the Logic & Banality of Evil," The ISIS Files, June 2020.
- "Balancing Online Content Moderation and the Rule of Law," Global Network on Extremism and Technology, September 4, 2020.
- "Cryptocurrency and the Dismantling of Terrorism Financing Campaigns," Lawfare, August 26, 2020.
- "#Hamas: Using Twitter to Gain Legitimacy or Incite Violence?," Global Network on Extremism and Technology, July 6, 2020.
- "#Hamas: A Thematic Exploration of Hamas’s English-Language Twitter," Terrorism and Political Violence, June 23, 2020.
- "The Fractured Terrorism Threat to America," Lawfare, November 2019.
- "In Syria, the Women and Children of ISIS Have Been Forgotten," Foreign Policy, October 2019.
- Jihadist Terror: New Threats, New Responses, I.B. Tauris, 2019.
- “The Changing Roles of Women in Violent Islamist Groups from Hamas to the Islamic State,” Program on Extremism, March 2019.
- “Neither Feminists nor Victims: How Women’s Agency Has Shaped Palestinian Violence,” Institute for Global Change, September 17, 2018.
- “The Mujahidat Dilemma: Female Combatants and the Islamic State,” CTC Sentinel 10 (7), August 2017.
- “Could the Next Islamic State Attacker in Europe Be A Woman?,” Newsweek, July 27, 2017.
- “U.S. Counter-Terror Financing Policy in the Middle East: The Levant as a Case Study,” International Institute for Counter-Terrorism, November 27, 2016.
- “A Palestinian Woman’s Place in Terrorism: Organized Perpetrators or Individual Actors?,” Studies in Conflict & Terrorism 39 (10), March 2016.
- “Women’s Liberation: Violence and Palestinian Women in the Third Intifada,” Haaretz, October 27, 2015.