- Research Fellow
- [email protected]
Jon Lewis is a Research Fellow at the Program on Extremism, where he studies extremist organizations in the United States and activities of the Islamic State and its supporters in the United States and Europe. He is an Investigator with the National Counterterrorism Innovation, Technology, and Education Center (NCITE), and provides assistance for The ISIS Files Project as well as for PoE's partnership with the Global Network on Extremism and Technology (GNET). Jon also provides support for PoE's partners in the Congressional Counter-Terrorism Caucus, the leading bipartisan voice in Congress for pragmatic approaches to tackling extremism and radicalization.
Before joining the Program on Extremism, he worked as a research assistant at the International Institute for Counterterrorism (ICT) and the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point (CTC), where he co-authored a report on Islamic State-linked attacks and plots in Belgium. Jon Lewis holds a Masters in Homeland Security Policy from Rider University.
- "Why the FBI had to pretend Hamas wanted to plot with ‘boogaloo boys'," The Washington Post, September 9, 2020.
- "Balancing Online Content Moderation and the Rule of Law," Global Network on Extremism and Technology, September 4, 2020.
- "Spring Provides Timely Reminder of Incel Violence—And Clarifies How to Respond," International Centre for Counter-Terrorism (ICCT)- The Hague, August 28, 2020.
- "Facebook's Disruption of the Boogaloo Network," Global Network on Extremism and Technology, August 3, 2020.
- "Rethinking Domestic Terrorism Law After Boogaloo Movement Attacks," Lawfare, July 27, 2020.
- "Now the State Department Should Designate the Russian Imperial Movement a Foreign Terrorist Organization," Lawfare, April 14, 2020.
- "White Supremacist Terror: Modernizing Our Approach To Today's Threat,” Program on Extremism, April 6, 2020.
- "Dollars for Daesh: The Small Financial Footprint of the Islamic State’s American Supporters," CTC Sentinel 13 (3), March 2020.
- "Our laws have a problem calling domestic terrorism what it is," The Hill, February 6, 2020.
- "When Pain is Thicker Than Blood: Surviving Scourge and Purifying the Ranks," Foreign Policy Research Institute, September 26, 2019.
- "How to act against domestic terrorists — and their foreign supporters," The Hill, September 15, 2019.
- "It's Not Only Iraq and Syria," Lawfare, August 23, 2019.
- "Beyond the Caliphate: Islamic State Activity Outside the Group’s Defined Wilayat – Belgium," Combating Terrorism Center, February 22, 2018.